My Personal Tips for an Easier Labour

This is all my personal opinion. 
I did extensive research trying to discover the secret to an easier or faster labor, delivery and recovery. I was willing to do just about anything to help my body along for labor.  

I dreamed of a natural, drug free birth, and although I knew I would be open to intervention and changes in plan I did truly want to, at the least, try. To my surprise I had an extremely hard time finding support. I actually found none. Only in hiring a doula did I find the support I desired, maybe too much as she didn't digest my openness to the needed change in any plans. (another story)

One of my biggest concerns was the length of labour.  It was going to hurt ...bad!  What could I do to help my body? Well I did tons of research and found great information.  I tried a lot and would love to share!

What worked for me:

Walking, walk walk walk: In my 3rd trimester I would walk 2-3 miles a day right up unit the end. Not only does this help your endurance but the swaying of your hips not only moves baby into place but down low into your cervix. This will help soften your cervix and ready your body.

Evening Primrose Oil:  I took 1 pill a day at week 30.  This is way earlier than recommended.  I upped my dose regularly and by week 38 I was taking 2 pills twice a day.


Mama organic tea: This is a great brand of teas and I started in the 3rd trimester


Dates:  I had a hard time eating these but had read in multiple places how Dates help Ripen the cervix preparing it for labor.  This would clearly speed the process along when the time came.  I ended up slicing them into steal cut oatmeal each morning.  They would taste more like raisins! 

Water Lots of Water:  Hydration should be no surprise.  

Laying on my left side only: The benefits of laying on your left side when pregnant is well known.   Supports organ function 

Birthing Ball: Bouncing on a birthing ball 

Education: I read many books.  The one I loved the most was  "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" I also recommend the movie "The Business of Being Born" in these and more I found understanding which put my mind to ease, I knew I could do this!  



Warm Epson Salt Baths: I forget where I read this but I took them all the time!  

Relaxation with music:  To relax in pregnancy I would listen to Hawaiian music so naturally when in labour when I needed to relax I listened to Hawaiian music.  It is like a lullaby! 


2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I shared on my Birth Day Pinterest board. Congratulations on FINALLY becoming a mom. You'll be great. Enjoy the journey of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I shared on my Birth Day Pinterest board. Congratulations on FINALLY becoming a mom. You'll be great. Enjoy the journey of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)