My Husband went from ZERO sperm to WHAT with acupuncture?

Warning:  This post is about infertility and contains mature subject matter.



Today was a BIG day.  My husband went in for a Sperm analysis.

About 2 1/2 years ago he had gone through the whole process of the Sperm Analysis finding out that he had no sperm at all.  The Dr.'s decided that surgery would be our best option.  This was not much of an option and I give my husband huge props as it was VERY invasive unlike what he was told. He had an extremely long and uncomfortable recovery (6 months later he still did not feel right). We did get 5 viles of sperm of which we have used 4 of to date.  This round, it has been brought to our attention that the sperm in the 4th vile did not "twitch" to show they were waking up.  It is unknown which ones where still alive to allow the Dr.'s know which ones to pick. Knowing we have limited rounds left we decided to take a western medicine approach.  O.K. I decided lol! but my husband is on board.  My acupuncturist was just sure that she could get his sperm count up to a usable range.  I felt it was worth a try.  She put him on herbs as seen in my post here.   They quickly started working and my poor husband had to fight through some discomfort.  2 months later he is not only doing great but feeling better than ever.  I give him props for taking 3 pills twice a day for 2 months.  He was not as good at getting to acupuncture but was able to get there about every other week.


I just got the call, after doing everything they do to the seaman. 2 viable sperm where there.  (I can only imaging spinning and shaking in my imagination) Now this is actually considered zero sperm. To give you an idea, the average sperm count is 30-40 million sperm per milliliter.  Some men have up to 120 million sperm per milliliter. My husband had 2, not two million, just 2.  

Now because we are doing ICSI, I do believe that we are able to possible use this fresh sperm, even if it is just a couple.

To confirm that this will be an option I have called my Dr. to converse.  He confirmed that without doing surgery or using a donor sperm that he would like my husband to give a sample.  "You never know" he said. Now I do believe he is slightly pleasing me but heck I'll take it.  Chances are pretty sure that we will have to use our last frozen vile as well as expected.  They will try to only use what they can.


Overall did it work?  Technically no. Will we get a baby from it? Time will tell.  In the end I will take this all as a good thing.  Did not get the best possible results but good all the same.




1 comment:

  1. It is believed that acupuncture can help reduce the stress associated with infertility, and therefore improve the body’s ability to respond to fertility treatment. It may not be the only thing that is done in isolation to treat infertility, but it helps get the body primed and maximizes the potential effects of fertility treatments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)