Question for All of You

So there is something in my home that has been bothering me.  I fear there is nothing I can do but find a place for it.  For a small back up story I will say I have been married to my husband for 2 years now.  His kids are 10, 13 and 13. His ex wife (divorced 10 years) is a nice person whom I strive every day to build a relationship with.  She does not have the same feelings and has even told me she has no interest in getting to know me.  I have been working on accepting this and keeping her more separate.

I suppose I will start with Christmas.  For Christmas my husbands kids (with their mother) gave us a framed picture of them.  It was their school pictures in a green frame with light yellow matting.  Although I love pictures of the kid in my home the frame is ugly.  It took me months but I hung it in the entryway for the kids to see everyday. 

Yesterday for or Fathers Day his kids gave him a gift that they did as usual with their mother.   Again it was pictures. It was a cute idea right out of Pinterest.   A large piece of wood with string and clips.  About 10 pictures hung from it.  Now here is the kicker all of the pictures are from outings with their mom.  We were not present for any of them?  I find it very strange to hang such a piece in my home. Not to mention it does not go with our decor  ..at all.  She has been in our home many times.  Now I have never been in her home to see her taste but I would not have considered giving her a framed picture of the kids from a vacation we took them on.  Or maybe I should not think this way? 

In the end I will be hanging this new picture thing up somewhere.  For the kids.  I just do not agree with it and now have to look at it in my home for a long time.  

Please tell me what you think!


5 comments:

  1. Can you hang it in your husbands study or man cave or anywhere that you don't have to see on a daily basis (shed / garage!). I do find it a bit weird. I have three close friends that are in blended marriages. It is a daily struggle for some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Sounds like she may be doing it on purpose! Could you dedicate a spot to one of these hideous things and every year take the old one down and put the new one up? Maybe it can almost make you giggle at how obsurd it really is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hhmmm I do deal with an ex but it doesn't sound quite like the situation you are in. Everyone pretty much gets along and works together, there is a hitch ever so often but mostly it's ok. I'm thinking along the lines of the above suggestions in maybe putting it somewhere you don't see right when you walk in the door. Just curious though, what is your hubbys thoughts about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly we do share our office and that is as close as he gets to having a "man cave" but it may have to do for a spot for now.
      I don't think my husband thought twice about it until I mentioned it. I think he thought it was nice (but if I was not with him it never would have made it close to up on a wall) When I pointed out how I felt he agreed and thought it was strange. He also suggested switching pictures out. I just don't want to do anything to make the kids feel we don't like it or what have you. He aggress with that. Ha.. I guess he is just on my side! He also thinks its ugly and not our taste.

      Delete
  4. I am in a very similar situation and can definitely sympathize with the struggles you face when dealing with your step children and their Mother. In our home, we have either moved all reminders/photos of my step son's Mother into his room or into a box that will be kept in the attic until he is old enough to decide if he really wants to hang onto those items or not. It is a difficult and stressful situation and I'm sorry you have to go through it. I definitely understand the feelings you have every time you have to walk by one of those photographs or gifts. If it works for you, try moving them into the kids' rooms. I know how frustrating it is to deal with an ex who wants nothing to do with you despite your many efforts and attempts to connect. I hope this helps and I will keep my fingers crossed for you that things get better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)