Food to Avoid Hypothyroidism


It is official I have hypothyroidism. 
Late afternoon yesterday I got the phone call that I have a highly elevated thyroid at 14.37
I have been chasing this down for a year and a half now.  With the news that 2 of my sisters have thyroid problems all my symptoms made sense for my IVF doctor to check my levels.   Now knowing for sure I no longer feel crazy.  I have a mix of emotions.  Happy to get the answer and angry this was not caught sooner, I now will have to wait potentially months for my next IVF round.  Not the start to 2014 I was hoping for.
I hope this post helps someone out there with this same struggle!

Symptoms
extreme fatigue
memory loss
depression
brittle hair
hair loss
extreme dry skin
low 97.5 base body basal temperature
low blood pressure
slow 50's-60 heart rate
weight gain
brittle nails
diagnosed IBS constipation
extreme sensitivity to cold
miscarriages
heavy periods

These are the most common symptoms.  There are over 300 symptoms relating to energy levels, weight, body temperature, slowness, infections, auto immune or endocrine diseases, skin, mouth and throat, ears, eyes, digestion, infertility, reproductive and pregnancy disorders, brain, heart and more... 

Even when medicated many people will still feel symptomatic!  
I have done some research to compile a list of food to avoid.    The good news is you can cook some of these foods and still enjoy them!  Following this list will certainly help you feel better!  Good Luck

List of Foods to Avoid Hypothyroidism 
Broccoli- raw, cooked ok
Brussel Sprouts- raw, cooked ok
Soy Bean
Peanuts- raw, cooked ok
Radishes
Rutabagas
Pine Nuts Cabbage
Cauliflower- raw, cooked ok
Kale- raw, cooked ok
Spinach - raw, cooked ok
Mustard Greens
Millet
Peaches- raw, cooked ok
Pears- raw, cooked ok
Strawberries
Sugar
Dairy
Coffee
Tea
Soy - in large quantities
Alcohol -   limit 1 per day
Calcium enriched OJ (within 4 hours of meds)

Strawberries, Pears, Spinach raw and tea will be my hardest.

List of Foods Good for Hypothyroidism
Olives
Yams / Sweet Potatoes
Pineapple
Artichoke
Sesame Seeds
Almonds
Avocado
Oats
Tomatoes
Cranberries
Peanut Butter
Carrots
Dried Herbs
Lettuce Greens
Omega 3
Ginger
Cinnamon
Garlic
Black Pepper
Chili
Sea Weeds
Raw Butter
Olive oil
Coconut Oil
Rice
Iodine
Water

Make sure your salt has Iodine not rock
People with a Hypothyroid tend to have an iodine insufficiency that can attack the thyroid

Drink Lots and lots of water!
Avoid Tap Water as the minerals fluorides interfere with iodine

Fiber
Constipation is extremely common with Hypothyroidism.  Make sure you consume enough fiber in your diet.  You can also look into fiber supplements

Mini Meals
Small mini meals throughout the day can help digestion more than big meals

Exercise
This is the obvious one!  If you have a hypothyroid your body is slower than the average.  You need to get up and get going more than the average person and want to the least!  You can doit.  I believe in you!







5 comments:

  1. How can I exercise when my legs feel like lead weights? When I get exhausted just walking 10 steps to the next room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything I've learned so far says that only gentle stretching and non-cardio exercise (moderate stroll-like walking, gentle yoga, tai chi) is good until you have the thyroid healed/working correctly otherwise you could actually make your thyroid worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, tea is in your list of avoid foods, what about green tea? red tea? white tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matcha tea is the best but green tea and herbal caffeine free tea's are fine.

      Delete
  4. I highly recommend every Hypothyroidism Sufferers to read this very good article about Hypothyroidism: “5 Essential Steps for Hypothyroidism Treatment Success”. You will learn a lot about Hypothyroidism. Good Luck! CLICK HERE to read the article.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)